Courtesy of Guest Blogger, Carol Obando-Derstine,
Regional Affairs Director, Southeast Region
CLICK HERE to learn more about PPL
Do you want to lose 15 pounds in 2017? Read 25 books? Clean your basement and keep it clean? Anything is possible if you stick to it, take it one step at a time and keep your eyes on the goal.
Saving energy and money is something worth adding to your 2017 to-do list. It doesn't take a major investment or a big life change to make improvements in this area.
Here are a few tips that can help you reach your energy- and money-saving goals in the new year:
- Switch to LED bulbs around the house. They use much less energy than conventional incandescent bulbs, and also last longer.
- Seal leaks around doors and windows. Those are common places for warm air to escape, and generally easy to fix.
- Unplug chargers when not in use. They continue to use energy even when they're not plugged into a device.
- Wash laundry in cold water and full loads, and clean your dryer's lint filter whenever you use it.
- Install low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators.
If you own or manage a business, you can save energy and money there too. Here are a few quick tips for businesses to save:
- Enlist all employees to help. Make sure everyone's on board with turning off unnecessary lights or machines, and that everyone who uses a computer has it set to an energy-saving sleep setting.
- Make sure HVAC equipment is inspected on a regular schedule, so it runs as efficiently as possible. The same thing goes for refrigeration equipment in restaurants.
- Check out pplelectricbusinesssavings.com to find out about energy-saving options, ranging from informational Webinars to rebates on energy-efficient equipment.
Another smart step if you're looking to cut electricity costs is to check the offers of competitive energy suppliers. Other suppliers may offer better prices and terms than PPL Electric Utilities' "price to compare" - the price you'll pay if you don't shop.
If you switched to a competitive supplier a few years ago and haven't given it much thought since, 2017 is definitely a year to put shopping on your to-do list. You may be able to get a better price in today's market.
The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission's PAPowerSwitch.com website is the place to go for all the shopping info you need. You can check PPL's current price to compare, see what other suppliers are offering, and even start the switching process if you choose.
Just make sure you understand all the terms of any contract before you switch. How long does the contract last? Is there a fee for early cancellation? And is the rate fixed or variable? (Fixed rates don't change. Variable rates go up and down based on market prices for electricity, and you may end up paying more than you expected if the rate goes up.)
Those are just a few tips to get you started on a successful - and energy-efficient - 2017. Whatever your personal goals and dreams are for 2017, I hope it's a good one!